The Forbidden Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Forbidden Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Umbra

Umbra

The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) Empty
PostSubject: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 6:05 pm

Naida did not like to steal. She considered herself a "good guy", except in girl form. So when things got so tight that she had to steal in order to eat, she usually tried to take as little as possible from someone would had more than enough. She raced around town,taking her time to watch people coming out of grocery stores and restaurants. She usually looked for men who were shopping, because men did not usually shop for their families. Her logic was that it at least reduced the odds of taking something that was meant for someone's kids.

She spotted a heavyset guy loading several bagsof groceries into a little smart car. The car was far too small for the big guy. She giggled a little as she whipped by and snatched up a bag. She knew it was mean but she could not help it.

She darted into a nearby ally and opened the bag to inspect her bounty. A loaf of bread and an extra large Hershey bar. Score!

She tore open the candy bar but just then a girl who looked to be about thirteen and a boy who looked even younger walked into the ally and spotted her. They were both dirty and clearly poor. Maybe they weren't actually homeless but they were hungry. She knew that by the way their eyes lingered on the candy as they walked by. Only someone that had felt the true sting of near starvation could recognize that look. Others might mistake it for childish greed. It was chocolate after all. But Naida knew real hunger when she saw it.

She quickly snapped a few squares off and tossed them in her mouth. She pulled a few slices of bread out of the bag and handed the rest to the kids as they walked by, along with the candy.

"Eat the bread first or you will spoil your appetite. And eat it now or someone will steel it from you. And share the chocolate! Fifty-fifty. Don't be greedy. No need to thank me. I'm just a sucker for scruffy little cuties like you two. Be safe out there and don't talk to strangers!"

The kids kept trying to thank her but they could not get a word in. Before they could she took off. She ran fast but at a relatively normal speed until she rounded a corner. Then she set out to look for a place to bunker down for the night...
Back to top Go down
Drummy
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy
Drummy

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 2:00 am

"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me."

Thirty years ago buttes, canyons and other rock formations covered this once captivating expanse of land. The first war on US soil in 100 years had wiped flat all the rugged beauty that had been the New Mexican countryside leaving nothing but a desert wasteland in it's place. No…war was the wrong word for it. No matter how  history books read what transpired here was a genocide, plain and simple. The mutants never had a chance, and they had not acted as the aggressors so much as once. They had only fought back to protect themselves, and who could blame them? It was human nature to fight back, even when others no longer recognized you as one.

This particular patch of desert was where the last great massacre of the mutant extermination project took place. The shifting sands had made it impossible for even the most modest of markers to be left. Thousands of tortured souls still linger in this place, one of which still draws breath.

The sun and wind burned any skin left unprotected by her hand me down army greens, and sand had found its way into her clothing and footwear. This was her second pilgrimage to this place to mourn those she had lost here. She sat alone with her back propped up against a knapsack that contained the meager entirety of her worldly possessions. With help from the heat and silence of the desert and the guilt weighing heavily on her, her mind began to play tricks on her. The ghosts of the past appeared before her, and soon the battle was raging on in front of her once more. Artillery shells blew holes in the ground and those unfortunate enough to get hit by them into pieces. Machine guns mowed down those who tried to press forward. The ground was completely covered in corpses just minutes into the attack, making it impossible to run, and smoke filled the air just as quickly making it impossible see. The battle had more casualties than any other in U.S history, and it had been almost entirely one sided. Though she had not actually witnessed them amidst the chaos, the deaths of those closest to her played in her head. Once the nightmare had played out, the setting changed and she relived brief scenes from happier times, playing keep away with Josh, Erick mussing up her hair for the umpteenth time, her first video recording, but for the moment all those memories just made her feel even emptier inside.

She closed the locket she had been holding in her hand throughout her day dream, once again concealing the tiny photo of their ragtag little group with her crouched down in the center, a relic from a time when they all believed in happy endings. She wondered if she would remember how to smile again on the off chance that she ever found a reason to. Regrettably she could not stay in this place any longer. She was running low on supplies, and a storm was coming.

Last edited by Drummy on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:08 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Umbra

Umbra

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 7:02 pm

She only had to search for about an hour before finding a pop-up camper parked at a motel. She snuck in and dropped into the little bed. As long as she woke up super early, she would be long gone before anyone found her. She typically only slept for about three hours per night anyways. She hated sleeping as much as most people loved it. All you did was lay there doing nothing. So boring! As soon as she woke up every morning, she was on her feet and looking for another adventure! The only thing she really hated about this lifestyle, besides occasionally having to steal and the occasional brush with death, was the loneliness. She loved adventure and freedom. She loved never being a hundred percent sure where she would be by the end of the day. But she sure wished she had someone to share it with. She fell asleep still thinking about her life, not sure if she loved it or hated it.
Back to top Go down
Drummy
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy
Drummy

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 10:04 pm

The sun had began to set behind her by the time she made her way back to I-40. Her feet were sore from her long journey, but she would have to keep walking through the night. Her water rations would not last if she attempted a trek to Albuquerque during the day.

She attempted to flag down drivers who passed her going either direction. It seemed to be a rather futile effort. People were suspicious of strangers these days, especially gun carrying strangers. She met with a small miracle when a truck going the other direction slowed to a stop at her request. She hopped in the cab of the semi without fear or hesitation. The quintessential trucker, a large burly man in his forties with a thick beard and an old ball cap looked at her from across the seat. He spoke in a calming southern drawl. "Where y'all headed missy?"

"Anywhere but here," she said hoisting her bag into her lap. In truth she was hoping to make her way up north to visit the resting place of an old friend who never made it to the battle of Valle Vidal, but for the time being all that mattered was finding a place she could restock and refresh before the Company picked up her trail again.

"I can take you all the way to Santa Barbara, or drop you off anywhere along the way."

"Santa Barbara it is then," she replied wishing to put as much distance between this place and herself as possible.

With that the man started his truck back up and headed back down the interstate. Neither of them spoke for a mile or so when the man decided to break the silence. "The name's Jeb. What's yours?"

She took a moment to ponder the many potential answers to what would seem like a simple question to most. "TK," was the one that she finally settled on.

"Well, TK. What brings a little lady such as yourself to a place like this?" His tone was that of friendly curiosity rather than any sort of suspicion.

Even so, she chose her words carefully,  as if they were costing her money, and spoke in a slow hushed voice. "I was paying respect to my friends who died in the war."

"I heard about the battle that took place near here. Total bloodbath by all accounts. Though I recall the casualties on the human side were nearly nonexistent. It's unfortunate that those close to you were among them. Unable to speak, Tobi responded with a silent nod. "Come to think of it. Those who did die were brought back and give a hero's burial at Washington. So it's awfully odd you'd travel all the way out here to see them."

"Mhm," was all she was able to murmur. The realization of what she said made the paranoia inside her stir. She then discovered that her hand had subconsciously shifted to the grip of her revolver. Was she really prepared to shoot the man who had shown her nothing but kindness over a slight suspicion of him?  The thought alone appalled her.
The years of hardship had failed to do in Tobi's trusting nature. That paired with her fatigue lead to her paranoia quickly subsiding as the truck's tires rolled smoothly down the fresh paved road. Before she knew it she had drifted off to sleep.

She did not stir until after sunrise. When a loud noise sprung her into a panic. She settled down and lowered her gun once she realized it was just a slamming door. They were now at a small truck stop in the city. "End of the line." His poor choice of words caused her heart to jump again, but it quickly returned to normal seeing he meant nothing by it. She jumped down from the door he had been kind enough to open for her and pulled her things out behind her. "You can join me for dinner, or breakfast rather once I fill the tank up."

"No, I best be going." The offer was tempting, but she knew it would be best to go their separate ways now, in case the enemy had already spotted them, or worse yet, if he tipped them off.

When she turned to leave she felt a heavy hand on her shoulder. When she faced him again ready to smack his hand away he was disarmed by a gentle smile. This time he spoke in a whisper. "Hey. You're one of them aren't you. A mutant?.....It's okay, you don't have to answer. Look…my daughter. She'd be about your age now. She was a mutant too, and...." Jeb began to tear up. It was difficult for him to find the words to continue. "and they told me she was a monster. A threat to society. But she was still my baby girl..and and and they killed her. Right in front of me!" By this point the man had lost control of both his emotions and the volume of his voice. Tobi looked around as she comforted him through his breakdown. Fortunately it was early in the morning, and no one seemed to be paying them any mind.  Eventually, after drying his eyes on her shirt, without permission she might add, he stood up and looked her in the eyes. "They're after you too, aren't they?" She answered with a stern nod. "Give them hell for me, for what they did to my baby girl. Take this. I hope it helps. and God bless."

With that the man ran off. Presumably to the back of his truck to fill the tank. Tobi really paid no mind to where he had gone. It was likely for the best if she didn't know. Instead she inspected what he had stuffed in her hand before parting ways. Unrolling the crumpled bank notes she counted nearly four hundred dollars. At the very least that would provide her with a few days food and a place to stay, but those arrangements could be made later. She stuffed the bills into her pocket and shuffled inside the convenience store. Her first stop was the washroom where she filled the sink and splashed the water on the face. She spent several minutes in there washing as much of the dirt from her skin and hair as she could. Then  she stared at the dripping face staring back at her in the mirror. She really didn’t know about giving them hell. There had been a time when she fought for what she believed in, but it was now clear that victory for her kind was not part of God's plan. Nowadays she carried on out of a need to see things through to the end, whatever that might mean. Her existential crisis was cut short when a bell signaled that someone else had was entering the station.

Last edited by Drummy on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Umbra

Umbra

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 6:33 pm

Naida was up and gone before anyone checked the camper. She did not race around the city aimlessly asshe did on most days; instead she went to a soup kitchen near the edge of town. Normally she shied away from places where other homeless people congregated in large numbers. It was not a good idea for a cute girl to draw attention to the fact that she was alone and defenseless. She was not actually defenseless of course,except when she was sleeping. Maybe that was another reason she hated sleeping. In any case, this place was ran by some very sweet nuns. They knew her by name and always gave her special treatment.

When she arrived, her heart sank. There were firetrucks and police outside and all of the sisters were standing around. She approached Sister Gwen, one of the oldest and sweetest of them all.

"What  happened, Sister? Is everyone alright? Was there a fire? An explosion? Terrorist attack? Oh no! Tell me who did this and I will make then eat their own..."

"Naida!" The nun cut her off.

"Sorry..."

"Everyone is fine. It was a small fire in the kitchen." She pulled a small wad of dollar bills from a pocket that Naida could not see under her robe. "Take this and get something to eat. The kitchen will reopen tomorrow."

Naida put her hands up and shook her head vigorously.

"And if you do not take this money, how will you eat?" Sister Gwen asked suspiciously.

Naida looked down and said nothing.

"That is what I thought. Take it now, young lady."

Naida took the money hesitantly. It was only three dollars, but it was better than nothing.

Naida hugged Sister Gwen and said a quick goodbye... Then rambled on for almost ten minutes until the sister found an excuse to get away. Naida jogged around until she was sure no one could see her, then she took off. She found a truck stop a few miles away. She stepped in, planning to grab a bag of chips or something. Three bucks would not get her much.

She was not paying attention as she entered the door and it hit something hard as she pushed it open. She stopped and looked around. A very large man with a dirty looking beard was standing there holding his head. Two other men, equally ugly, were staring between the bearded man and Naida.

"Did that door just hit you? I am so s..."

" Why don't you watch where the hell yer going you little bitch!" The man roared. Naida could not believe his violent reaction and for a moment she froze like a deer in headlights. 
"I should smack the hell out of you!" He raised his hand as though to backhand her.

Perhaps it was her confusion caused by his unbelievable reaction or just instinct, but she could not believe what she did next. In a flash she was standing behind him. She had raised her fists, ready to start pummeling him with tiny blows, but she caught herself. Too late. Everyone was staring at her.

"Oh my..." One of the ugly friends said. "She's... She's one of them!"

Naida stepped back, not sure what to do. The three men were closing in on her. "W...wait..." Was all she could think to say.
Back to top Go down
Drummy
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy
Drummy

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 10:59 pm

Tobi instinctively took a peek around the convenient store while remaining hidden in the restroom, just in case the Company was raiding the place. It was unlikely that they had found her already, but you didn't get to be a war survivor by taking unnecessary chances.  The eye concealed by her eye patch disappeared and reformed between some candy bars below the register. There was no sound, but it was plain to see a group of thugs harassing a small girl. She couldn't have been any older than twelve, and even at that she was short for her age.

Three against one was unfair, and on top of that they were picking on a child. She couldn’t just stand idly by knowing what was happening outside. That didn't mean she had planned on killing anyone though. She was pretty sure she could get them to back down without resorting to violence. Not many people messed with her unless they were following orders, probably because she didn't even try to hide the fact that she was packing heat.

"Boy, that escalated quickly." She said quietly to herself seeing what happened before she was even able to get out of the room. At least no one had gotten hurt yet, and it certainly was an interesting development. Talking her way out of this one may be a little difficult. She took a deep breath before stepping out the door a new person.

"What seems to be the problem here?" She called out with authority before putting her hand on her hip and staring at the men with a bored expression on her face. "That we have a bunch of grown men screaming like a bunch of frightened girl scouts?" She had learned that it was relatively easy to get people to perceive authority where there was none through bravado alone,  and that usually entailed talking down to others.

Sure enough they took the bait and stuttered out a flabbergasted response.  "Th-th-th-that girl. She's a mutant. I saw it with my own eyes I did."

"Her?" She said pointing down with her head titled quizzically to the side. "Ch, I doubt it. Lucky for you poor suckers too. I mean, if she was a mutant…..Well, don't you know that muties have something fundamentally wrong with their brains, that makes them go nuts and kill everyone in sight if you so much as look at them funny? Besides, I have it on good authority that only living mutant left in the country is a tall beautiful blonde woman." While giving her speech Tobi took several long strides that positioned her between the men and the girl she was trying to protect with her hands behind her back and her back facing the girl. "but you 'big tough men' are really worried about this cute little thing, I suppose I can take her to my C.O. for questioning. Oh but I'll need to commandeer one of your cars do it."

"What do you need our car for?" One of them stupidly asked.

Without visibly losing her cool Tobi brushed the question off and reestablished her authority. She knew something like this might happen if she got greedy. "Excuse me!" She said as though she had been taken aghast. "Just who in the hell do you think I am?"

"I don't know. Who are you?" One of them asked mockingly.

She smiled in return of his response. This time she was prepared. "Don't you know. I am only the most talented mutant exterminator in the entire US military. They call me…" She paused for ominous effect. During this time she prepared to reveal herself to the little mutant standing behind her. "Babba Yaga." At the exact moment she gave her newest alias she materialized her eye in the palm of her hand for the other girl to see. She timed if perfectly so that if the girl screamed, the men would misattribute it to the reputation she supposedly had among mutant kind. "So if you don't mind, we'll be going now."
Back to top Go down
Umbra

Umbra

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 11:59 pm

Naida probably could have took them all. In fact, there was no probably about it. The problem was, she was not a soldier of any kind. She had hid from the war and the few times she had been forced to fight had only made her abhor violence even more. Instead of fighting, she put her hands in front of her and started trying to work up some tears. Maybe she could win them over by being pathetic.

Before she could really get started, someone came out of the bathroom and started asking questions. She had to strain to see who it was. When she finally got a look, she saw a tall, pretty girl dressed like a soldier of some kind. She was strapped with guns and strolling up like she owned the place. Naida wanted to seize the opportunity to run, but she was curious.

The tall lady talked away and slowly made her way between the angry mob and Naida. Was she helping her? Then Naida's heart skipped a beat when two  scary things happened at once. The woman claimed to be a mutant hunter, which almost made Naida bolt, except that something had appeared in the girl's hand. An eye! What the...?

Naida stared at the eye in shock. Had she actually found another mutant? She started to bounce with excitement, but then remembered that she was supposed to be terrified.

"Please don't take me to your seeyo, Barba yag... Baby yoga... Wait what's your name? Don't hurt me!" Okay so improvisation was not really her thing. She decided to just put her head down and follow the woman. She was better at this.
Back to top Go down
Drummy
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy
Drummy

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 1:14 am

"What on God's green earth was that?" Tobi thought to herself after the small girl's "performance". This clearly wasn't a child star she was saving. She was dangerously close to blowing her cover. Thinking fast Tobi turned so the men wouldn’t notice that the name on her uniform read "Private John Conner" and pressed the barrel of her pistol into the girl's back. "As long as you come peacefully….and quietly," she added with a snarl of sincere annoyance.

Perhaps she imagined it, but Tobi felt the small girl jump, as one would expect from a civilian with a loaded gun pressed against them. This filled her with guilt. After all she had started out trying to help this girl who had done nothing wrong as far as she could tell. Not to mention that things would escalate rather quickly if the girl thought this was real and panicked again. She decided it would be best to remind the girl whose side she was really on, even if it meant risking another bout of terrible acting. An eye appeared directly in front of the girl, winked once, and disappeared behind the soldier's eye patch once more.

She then decided it would be best to make haste getting out to mitigate the time the girl had to open her mouth and cause trouble. "Keys," she demanded raising her hand up behind her head.

One of the men leaped forward to comply without question. She didn't bother turning to see which it was. "It's the red mustang."

Tobi thought, "Nice!" But what she said was, "You have done your country a great service. You should be proud." She showed great restraint in not adding on "despite screaming like a little girl a minute ago." With that she jabbed her gun into the back of her fake hostage to lead her out the door. Once outside she muttered pointedly "Just keep walking and don't look back until we're in the clear."
Back to top Go down
Umbra

Umbra

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 8:40 pm

Not talking was always a struggle for Naida. In this particular circumstance, staying quiet was nearly painful. She had to literally bite her tongue when the eye appeared in front of her. She was not sure whether she wanted to scream with delight or disgust. Either way it was good to see it wink at her. Her heart was beating a mile a minute and it already beat a lot faster than a normal person's.

She managed to stay quiet until they were into the car. The crazy lady with the gun shoved her roughly into the passenger seat. She kept the gun trained on her until she rounded the car and hopped into the drivers seat. Naida just hoped this was all for show in case they were still watching.

As soon as the door was shut, Naida practically exploded with questions.

"Who are you? Are you really a mutant like me? What's up with that creepy eye thing? Can you fly? Do you have super strength? Can I hold that gun? Did you fight in the war? I can't believe there is still another mutant! I thought I was the only one left!" She said all of that in one long breath and finally had to stop and breath.
Back to top Go down
Drummy
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy
Drummy

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 11:59 pm

The car was stunning. It must had been the man's pride and joy with a classic build and not a single scratch or dent on it. Even under the pressure of being on the run she would enjoy what little time she'd have with the car. Plopping into the leather seats and gliding her hand over the custom steering wheel gave her a much needed moment of comfort.

She didn't let it show, but the ordeal in the truck stop had been nerve wracking for her, albeit not as bad as it must have been for her little shotgun rider. Before responding she took a moment to relax her muscles and clear her head. "I'll answer your questions later if we have time. But before that, do you have any preferences as to where I drop you off?"

Last edited by Drummy on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Umbra

Umbra

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 1:04 am

She had already been planning all sorts of fun activities. First they could go out to the country and Naida coukd show her new freind hiw fast she was. Then maybe they could visit the zoo! Then if they had time, they qoukd topple the government and.. Wait, she could not believe what she was hearing. "Drop me off...? What are you talking about? I have to stay with you, crazy! We are the last two mutants!" Suddenly it occurred to her that she did not even know her new partners name. "Wait, what's your name? Mine is Naida. We are totally gonna be besties!"
Back to top Go down
Drummy
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy
Drummy

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 8:36 am

Naida, Such a pretty name Tobi thought. "I'm T-." She cut herself off. She couldn't form any more attachments with this girl, it would just make things harder on them both. "Hawkeye. My name is Hawkeye," she said with a dethatched voice. She didn’t' even bother to turn her head to look. She instead focused on the road ahead as if they were already moving.

Ugh. Stupid girl. She should have known how bad Tobi wanted to say yes, and conversely how impossible sticking together must  have been for her to  propose anything different in the first place. "Staying with me would be no good for you," she said in a tone that conveyed not anger, but sadness.  She struggled not to retract her earlier statement and after a bout of inner turmoil was able to stand by it "The life I lead is not for the faint of heart."

Last edited by Drummy on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Umbra

Umbra

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 7:48 pm

"Faint of heart? Who here is faint of heart? I am a complete hardass, Hawkeye. By the way that is an awesome name! Is it like a code name or something? 'Cause if you get a code name then I do too! Mine will be Dragon! No... Princess! Wait! Mine is Quicksilver! Yaaaaa..." She sat there practically bouncing in her seat. She managed to stop talking for almost a full minute. She did not want to be annoying after all.

"Oh by the way, since we are besties now, I feel like full disclosure is appropriate. I am totally homeless and all alone. I don't mean to get too personal, but I am super sad and lonely and have major abandonment issues..." That aught to help seal the deal.
Back to top Go down
Drummy
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy
Drummy

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 9:51 pm

That was just unfair. She couldn't say no after that, even if the girl was just playing her. It probably wouldn't kill her to let the kid tag along for a bit,. She let out a long sigh and bowed her head in defeat. "I won't be held responsible."

Last edited by Drummy on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Umbra

Umbra

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 9:58 pm

Naida squealed with delight. "You will not regret this! We are going to make an awesome team. Hawkeye and Quicksilver, off on a whirlwind adventure! We are going to topple governments and start revolutions! Also, we should totally stop for ice cream. What's your favorite flavor? Mine is mint chocolate chip and cookie dough mixed together. Icecream always makes me thirsty though. Maybe we can get french fries instead? What do you think?"
Back to top Go down
Drummy
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy
Drummy

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 10:32 pm

She had already begun to regret it. Tobi began to tap the steering wheel and check the rear vew nervously as Naida went on yet another tirade. "Can the food wait a bit? We need to get across the state line before our friends back there get wise and report this car as stolen." With that she threw the car in reverse. The tires squealed as they pulled out of the lot with the accelerator pressed hard against the floor. She was fortunate enough to have a head start on the morning rush hour. "By the way. No way I'm calling you Quicksilver. That sounds like something straight out of a comic book."

As they drove down the street occasionally weaving to pass the few early birds who set out before them the radio began to play. "Here's to the damned the lost and forgotten. It's hard to get high when you're living on the bottom!"
Back to top Go down
Umbra

Umbra

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 4:51 pm

Naida pouted a little. "I totally just made that up." She sat back and gave Hawkeye the silent treatment for almost two whole minutes. Finally she decided to cut her a little slack. "Okay okay... I guess we are on speaking terms again. Besides, what could we possibly have to worry about with you and I together? We are like a dynamic duo or whatever... I am Batman and you are Robin. Or I am Superman and you are Jimmy Olsnen! Wait... why aren't there any girl super heroes with sidekicks? Oh! I am Squirrel girl and you are Monkey Joe!"

She sat back and folded her arms. "I'm hungry. Where are we going? I thought we agreed to icecream...? What is this song? Do we have any Jewel or Avril Livigne?" She paused for a moment to let that sink in. Then she started giggling. She was definitely more of a classic rock fan. This was going to be too much fun.
Back to top Go down
Drummy
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy
Drummy

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 9:07 pm

All things considered, Naida's bubbly personality made it difficult to stay in a bad mood for long when she was around.  It was even enough to make Tobi break the most sacred driving rule that had been ingrained in her by both her parent's and all her friends. She also felt that it was about time she answered all the girl's questions, since it was now clear that they'd be spending a fair bit of time together.   She took a deep breath to clear her mind as not to miss one.

"First in last out okay?" She started with a brief glance at her new companion before shifting her attention back to the road ahead. "You're free to change the radio if you want. I already told you we can't stop until we cross the state line.  From there we can slow down a bit. I know a safe place in Vegas we can spend the night after ditching this car. That's about two hours. It will probably be McDonald's. They're fast, cheap, and everywhere. Besides you can get your ice-cream and fries there." She continued on without skipping a beat. She knew any pause would lead her being interrupted again giving her another dozen or so questions to answer. "Excuse me? I saved you. Got it Bucky?  And let's just focus on staying alive for the time being okay. " She was on the homestretch now. "Yes it's a codename.  Yes I fought in the war. No to the next three.  My eyes can be anywhere at any time allowing me to see everything . I think all that answered the who are you question well enough.  Just know everything I said in the store was a lie and I feel really bad about that. So how'd I do?" She said briefly risking a crash once more by turning to smile back at her passenger.
Back to top Go down
Umbra

Umbra

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 9:19 pm

For once in her life, Naida was actually speechless. She sat there with her mouth hanging open and said nothing. Finally, after almost a full minute, her mind started racing again. "Duuuude! You are really good at answering questions! I can't believe we are going to Vegas! That is awesome! Do you think I could get my hands on a fake ID and go to a casino? I won't drink! I swear. I just want to pull one of those levers on those big machines cause I am pretty sure they start shooting coins everywhere and I am definitely fast enough to catch them all! I am the fastest person alive, bet you didn't know that! Bet I could beat you in a race... actually I bet I could get to Vegas on foot before you could get there in this car! Bet I could..."

The rant went on and on. She occasionally stopped to take a breath or got distracted by something out the window. She never stopped long enough for Hawkeye to answer her questions though, she would have to be interupted for that to happen.
Back to top Go down
Drummy
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy
Drummy

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 12:23 am

A small but long lasting grin decorated Tobi's face as they drove down the seemingly endless highway. She said nothing, but listened to every word that rolled of the small friend's lips. She wondered if she was so…….enthusiastic when she was that age. Had her friends been alive to see it they may had called it karma. But it wasn't so bad she guessed.
They made it to the border with no major incidents. Though she did have to slow down for a bit after spying a speed trap set up ahead of them. She had been more worried about the Company who had been looking for her, but considering their circumstances getting pulled over could have been equally problematic.

Once she saw the overhead sign that read "Welcome to Nevada," she slowed down to a more reasonable speed and pulled off at the first exit she could and pulled up to a McDonald's as promised. "We can go inside to eat." She said getting out by hopping over the door rather than bothering to open it. Once out of the car she reached up with her palms stretched up towards the sky. Unlike Nadia she had cooped up in a truck for twelve hours before their daring escape, and she had far less room for her legs than her compact companion. "What do you want. You're not too old for a Happy Meal are you? It's okay if you are. We can even order a toy separately if you still want one. I have some cash to spare. When she looked back over her shoulder and saw the empty passenger seat. "Maybe she went inside already…" she murmured to herself.

Last edited by Drummy on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Umbra

Umbra

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 12:34 am

Naida had already ran inside the McDonald's when she realized Hawkeye was still at the car. It was going to be tough having such a slow partner. She zipped back and stood next to Hawkeye, who was talking to herself and staring at the empty passenger seat.

"Whatchya doin, weirdo? Come on! I am so getting a happy meal! Don't make fun of me either. It isn't for the toy... I am small and I don't eat that much at a time. Lots of small meals, that's my motto. But don't try to take the toy either... cause I want it." She ran around in a few circles. "Come on, slowpoke!"
Back to top Go down
Drummy
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy
Drummy

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 12:47 am

"It wouldn't kill you to wait a second" Tobi thought to herself. As guilty as she felt about it, the girl was starting to get under her skin. She had grown accustomed to the silent still of being alone, and it hasn't been her  day, her  week, her month, or even her year. The heat didn't help either. It was enough to make her reconsider her decision to bring the girl along in the first place. Sure it would be a little trickier now, and she'd feel bad about it for a while, but it certainly wasn't too late to part ways with her, and really it would be in her best interest in the long run. After all, what kind of life could Tobi offer her?

By the time that she got to the door of the restaurant she had wiped the sweat of her brow and shook away her cynical thoughts. She was being too hard on the girl, and on herself as well. She was just excited. It was normal. Surely she'd settle down soon enough…..right? Either way she could worry about that later, after she got some food in her system. That would help her think better. The line was long, and the service was less than stellar. Tobi had no problem waiting, but she was worried about her little friend who wasn't exactly brimming with patience.

Last edited by Drummy on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Umbra

Umbra

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 8:34 am

Naida slowed her pace to an acceptably human speed once they were inside the building. All of the recent excitement had her ready to explode with energy. She stayed by Hawkeye's side and bounced up and down on her toes, forcing herself to be quiet for once. If she did not stay calm, she would end up using her powers in front of everyone. It had happened a few times before. That was exactly how she had ended up with Hawkeye in fact. Of course, meeting Hawkeye was a good thing. The best thing that had happened to her in a long time actually. That got her wondering if maybe using her powers in front of people would make more good things happen?

That's stupid. Shut up, dummy!

She started running in place a little, trying to keep the energy from piling up. Her mind had now wandered, against her will, back to the first time she had used her powers without meaning to. She reached up and touched the thin scar above her lip. The face of the dead soldier flashed in her mind and she visibly flinched. She could almost feel the weight of him to this day. Her overactive mind made even the memory of this awful experience more real than it actually was.

She had stopped running in place and, in a rare turn of events, was simply standing there sort of staring off into space. Her thoughts were interrupted when the woman behind the counter snapped her finger in Naida's face.

"WHAT?" She shouted, then looking around she realized where she was.

"Can I take your order?" The woman said with far more attitude than was really necessary.

"Oh...ya, sorry. Happy meal, please. Cheeseburger."
Back to top Go down
Drummy
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy
Drummy

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 6:35 pm

Tobi glanced down to give her new friend  a worried look. Although they had just met, she had a feeling that her outburst was a little out of character for her. When it appeared that Naida had shook off whatever had been bothering her a moment ago, she decided it was safe to worry about it later. The cashier's head cranked up as Tobi approached the counter. "Medium number two. Extra Onion Extra Pickles, for here." She said with a flat voice. The best Tobi could manage for most people these days was some polite words paired with a fake smile, and in this instance she was still cross regarding the way the minimum wage employee had treated her traveling companion.

By the time she had turned around Naida had already found  a seat for them. Whether it was coincidental or deliberate she had chosen one of the few tables Tobi would have approved of, a booth in the corner where she could survey the whole store. It also happened to be right next to the play area, perhaps that was why Naida had picked it, she thought.

Tobi waited for their order to come up and carried it back to the table herself.  She sat the tray down before she slid in to the booth opposite Naida. The positioning was great, but she would have preferred a chair which would be easier to get out of in an emergency. She told herself it wouldn't matter. They had made good time. They should be safe for now. She left the tray to Naida and spread out her own food on an unrolled cheeseburger wrapper. She dipped her first fry into some ketchup. Before putting it in her mouth, she paused and looked over to the other girl. "Hey, are you okay?"

Last edited by Drummy on Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Umbra

Umbra

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) EmptyTue Jan 05, 2016 12:03 pm

((It may take me a few posts to get back into Naida's character...))

Once her mind had wandered to that ugly day in her past, it had become a struggle to focus on anything else. This mood was not that unusual for her, but she normally would shake it off quickly with a hard run. Unfortunately that was not really an option at the moment, so she had to just try to force the thoughts to the back of her mind.

Hawkeye surprised her a little with the concerned question. She blinked up at her for a moment, not really sure whether she should answer politely, or honestly. Since they were going to be partners from here on out, and in Naida's head that was a done deal, she decided to lean a little more toward honesty than cordiality. She would have to fight back the urge ramble on and spill her whole history in one run-on sentence.

"Well, we all have a past, I guess. I just have a few things on my mind." She forced a small smile. "It will pass quickly. Trust me, if there is one thing I never do, its linger."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)   The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra) Empty

Back to top Go down

The Abominations (DrummyxUmbra)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next