The Forbidden Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Forbidden Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Plot vs. Develoupment discussion

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dethhollow

Dethhollow

Plot vs. Develoupment discussion Empty
PostSubject: Plot vs. Develoupment discussion   Plot vs. Develoupment discussion EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 11:53 am

This is something I've wanted to bring up for a while and it's kind-of just asking how do you look at this balance? Like how much character develoupment is too much and when do you think the plot needs to be shoved to the side a little to flesh out the characters? Which do you find more importaint?

Should there be a point where the plot just comes to a complete standstill for characters to better know eachother, or where things are really picking up and even though a new character is added, you should just shove them to the side a little and focus on keeping the story flowing? Just whatever thoughts you have on the issue.
Back to top Go down
TheDarknessOfLoyalty

TheDarknessOfLoyalty

PostSubject: Re: Plot vs. Develoupment discussion   Plot vs. Develoupment discussion EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 12:03 pm

Honestly if you have a mid-slow pace of plot it'll allow plot advancement WITH character development, which is how a lot of recent JRPGs do it nowadays.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plot vs. Develoupment discussion   Plot vs. Develoupment discussion EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 5:15 pm

The fun part about most RPs is that plot and development go hand in hand. Most development will occur as the plot moves forward, meaning that Mech is entirely correct in stating that you can have both plot advancement and character development.

If you have a super-fast plot, it makes development much more interesting and frantic; people will be pushed, tried, and tested under intense pressure, meaning development occurs all the more quickly and frenetically. I once played an extremely fast RP, one of only 4 I have ever brought to a meaningful conclusion, and the amount of stuff that happened throughout the course of only 10 pages of IC was astonishing. [s]And then we all disappeared for a week due to exhaustion[/s] Every single character grew up and became a man/woman. Every single loose end was speedily and ingeniously tied up. It was amazing.
Back to top Go down
Aroro

Aroro

PostSubject: Re: Plot vs. Develoupment discussion   Plot vs. Develoupment discussion EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:18 am

Personally speaking, I prefer to keep my RPs at as realistic a pace as possible. People change, yes, but usually that change isn't during the course of a week. Therefore, I like having a mixture. Too much plot and everything feels so rushed and forced. Too little and people lose interest. If I feel like we've been in one spot too long, then I'll do something to push us out of it. *looks at TFA and the random fires*

Although, I have to say, I do prefer character development over plot. Mainly because, for the most part, plot is predictable. People aren't.
Back to top Go down
https://theforbiddenforums.rpg-board.net
Lununguis

Lununguis

PostSubject: Re: Plot vs. Develoupment discussion   Plot vs. Develoupment discussion EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 1:35 pm

One other factor would be whether you want for the story of your roleplay to be character-driven or plot-driven. If it is the former, then character development will be crucial and interactions between characters will be emphasized more than the plot itself. If it is the latter, then characters may be more or less static while the plot keeps things moving.

Not gonna lie, I favor character development. It takes a really interesting or intricate plot to best what some good, dynamic characters can do to weave a story.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plot vs. Develoupment discussion   Plot vs. Develoupment discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Plot vs. Develoupment discussion
Page 1 of 1